I am going to tempt you with my CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE OOH LA LA.....I have posted this before but due to time limitations from a busy week....here it is again!
A really moist cake sure to please! (High Altitude adjusted)
5 Squares unsweetened chocolate
2 1/3 cups sifted cake flour (2 ¼ on lower alt)
1 ½ tsp baking soda (2 tsp low alt)
½ tsp salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar (2 ¼ low alt)
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup plus 4 Tb water – boiling ( 1 cup low alt)
1. Grease and flour 2 size 9 x 1 ½” layer cake pans, tap out excess flour.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into bowl.
3. Melt chocolate in a small bowl with the butter.
4. In a large bowl beat brown sugar and eggs; beat with mixer at
High speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and chocolate.
5. Stir in dry ingredients alternately with sour cream until batter is smooth.
Do not boil water too soon as it evaporates fast – Stir in boiling water – batter will
Now become thin. Pour into cake pans.
6. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes – check with toothpick
7. Let cool 10 minutes, cut around edge of cake with knife and turn onto cake platter
I like to put a layer of cherry pie filling or Rothchild’s Cherry Almond Sauce between my cake layers!
Fudge icing: 4 squares unsweetened chocolate, 1 stick of butter, 1 lb. of confect. Sugar, ½ cup milk, 2 tsps vanilla
Melt chocolate in small saucepan with butter…remove from heat
Combine other ingredients in bowl and then add chocolate
mix…….beat till ready to ice cake
If the icing is too thick- add more milk
After the cake is iced I like to cover the center top with maraschino cherries!