Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fannie Farmer's Steamed Fruit Pudding

This winter one of the books I have been perusing is "The Victorian Cookbook" published in l989 by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson.  It is an extensive research about cooking in the Victorian era.  There is a great deal of information about Fannie Farmer.  When we think of her- we think of fudge - a candy shop if you will.  Actually she founded a cooking school in Boston in 1902 and her "Boston Cooking School Cookbook" was a best seller.









The Victorians loved steamed puddings. This book features one of Fannie Farmer's Blueberry Puddings. 




 Many Christmas Plum Puddings included ground suet in the recipes, but not this one. You could serve it anytime of the year- not just Christmas. Pudding molds are available in 1 quart and 2 quart sizes and have lids. In her Martha Stewart's Christmas Recipe Book from 1989, Martha made 300 puddings in bowls over a 3 day period (for her "closest friends and relatives").  

4 comments:

  1. I will look forward to reading about the blueberry pudding because I have one of these pudding molds and have never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a Fanny Farmer cookbook from my mother! Will have to see if it is there! Enjoy your blog Bernideen. Hope to get to your place some day! I think I have said that last statement a time or two before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very yummy. I have always wanted to try to make a pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is time to warmly invite you once again for our little weekly blogging tea parties @ The Plumed Pen and @ Silken Purse!

    I enjoyed reading about the puddings; I think I'll try to find the right kind of pudding pot with the lid!.., Perhaps then I can try the blueberry pudding!..,(My your music ministers to my soul by the way!~So beautiful)!

    Have a blessed 2010 dear lady!..,

    Cheers, hugs and blessings from wanda Lee @ The plumed Pen

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.