Tuesday, April 5, 2011

BACARDI RUM CAKE




Probably one of the most famous recipes and familiar to us (because it has been in magazine ads for years) is the Bacardi Rum Cake. You have probably made it sometime yourself but since I haven't made it for a while - this morning I made one. I didn't have time to put the icing glaze on yet and will do that tonight as friends are coming for dinner. 



I need to be careful today and type this correctly as I passed a flyer in my store with a cake recipe and had the wrong measurement for the baking powder.  Typos can be dangerous so when you are reading a recipe - always question anything that looks like it "might not be right".  It is worth the time to google it or call someone or lay it aside until later.  


This cake calls for 1 cup pecans or walnuts chopped, (1) 18 1/2 oz pkg yellow cake mix, (1) 3 3/4 cup pkg Jello Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie Mix, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 cup Wesson oil, 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

The glaze calls for 1/4 lb butter, 1/4 cup water, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup Bacardi Dark Rum You can substitute rum flavoring but it won't taste quite as good!

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees right from the get go....


You will grease and flour a 10" or 12" bundt pan and sprinkle the chopped nuts in the bottom of the pan. Mix all cake ingredients together.  Pour batter over nuts and bake for 1 hour.  I covered the top with loose foil the last 10 minutes. Cool and then invert on serving plate.  Prick the top of the cake and spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan, stir in water and sugar.  Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in rum. Pour over cake!

6 comments:

  1. I love Beef Bourguignon! I like Laura Calder's version - any way -it is a wonderful dish! This cake sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter how old the recipe is...it's delicious! A favorite I haven't made for awhile. We had spring risotto and Bananas Foster Kuchen last night...I needed to use up some bananas.
    Cheers!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bernideen,
    that cake recipe sounds very tempting.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS RECIPE BRINGS BACK A LOT OF MEMORIES, IT WAS AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO AND MY DAUGHTER JACKIE MADE THIS EXACT CAKE, SHE WAS BRINGING IT TO A PARTY WE WERE ALL ATTENDING. WHEN WE ARRIVED AT THE PARTY, WE WERE TOO LATE, THE CAKE WAS ALL READY EATEN. SO IT WAS A BIG HIT. RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rum cake looks delicious. I haven't made boeuf bourguignon for many years, but it is a delicious dish, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bernideen,
    Your cake looks fabulous and sounds delicious! I've never tried it although I have heard of it before. Thanks for coming to tea. Always a pleasure to have you, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.