Thursday, March 4, 2010

BLACKBEARD'S CRABMEAT CASSEROLE FROM THE "Celebrate Virginia" COOKBOOK

This recipe is from the "Celebrate Virginia Cookbook" produced in 2002  which is full of history and  recipes representing Virginia.
It is available from Thomas Nelson Publishers. This is my last in a series of posts about my recent trip to Gloucester, Virginia.



Blackbeard's Crabmeat Casserole:

1 egg, 2 Tb mayo, 1 Tb dry mustard, dash of tabasco sauce, 1 Tb minced onion, 2 Tb worcestershire sauce, 2 Tb butter to dot the top (plus my tweak 3 Tb butter melted to stir through), (plus my tweak here of 1 1/2  cups of chopped brocolli which was boiled 3 minutes and drained)

Also:  1 lb crabmeat chopped, (I used to 6 oz cans of diced crabmeat) 4 slices bread finely crumbled or packaged bread crumbs and 1/2 cup hot milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Beat the egg in a large bowl until light, add mayo, dry mustard, tabasco sauce, onion, worcestershire sauce, crabmeat, drained brocolli and bread crumbs.  Handmix and add milk and melted butter and mix through - dot top with last 2 Tb butter and bake 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Scroll down to my February 28th post about Blackbeard the Pirate who ravaged the shores of Hampton, Virginia......where I was born!


This casserole was really easy to make!

8 comments:

  1. I am printing this one out NOW! :) Thanks Bernideen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy seafood recipes ... yum! Thanks for including this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts about going home have been interesting. It's almost like taking a real mini-vacation. I love the lavender pansies on your tea set in your header as well as what I think are some violets. The hand stitched table topper is very pretty, too. Thanks for sharing! ♥♪

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bernideen,

    Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe. It looks so delicious! I have enjoyed seeing and reading about you trip back home! I am so glad you had a nice visit.

    I love all your pretty rose plates for Pink Saturday, and the chandelier with teacups in your shop is gorgeous! The chocolate pie looks so good! Thank you for all of the loveliness you share and thank you for visiting me!

    I love your new header photo!

    Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a seafood lover - crab, shrimp, scallops, mussels, etc. Your crab casserole looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, LOVE your new header.
    Second, thanks for the recipe, it sounds wonderful.
    Third- LOVE that green hobnail butter dish in the background of your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful... Hope you have a wonderful Pink Saturday!!!! Cheers, Lia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely and yummy too! Will have to give it a try! I love your new header photo too! Have a blessed day - Donna (IA)

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.