Friday, August 3, 2012

AUGUST DAYS AND THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS BOOK



Each month of summer holds it's own personality and traditions:

The days of AUGUST  welcome a foretaste of fall....a time to reflect on simpler times.  Time to relax a bit and enjoy:





This morning, after cutting a few blooms in the garden, I took some time to enjoy reading Edith Holden's book "The Country Diary of An Edwardian Lady and especially reading about August.  The book is a facsimile reproduction of a naturalist's diary for the year 1906 which was published in Great Britain in 1977.






I also enjoyed refreshing my memory about the meaning of many flowers which were beloved in the Victorian Era and recalled in "The Language of Flowers".  This copy is a reproduction of the original.


With all the troubles in this world and our own present economy - make time this summer for "opportunities of escape".  This is very important!  Relaxing is necessary to restore PEACE.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Bernideen,
    its a wonderful idea to host this Open House party. I am happy to link in with my memories to Italy.
    Your collection of nice garden books is enchanting. I love to see Edith Holden's diary and also the Language of Flowers. And the thistle-picture is so natural that even the bumblebees are coming - or are they also painted? LOL
    Have a wonderful summer-weekend.
    Best greetings,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernideen,

    I've joined you this week with some summer butterflies. You have such a nice collection of vintage books. I agree we all need some down time and a place to relax. Your garden is the perfect place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting this party! I entered the wrong link first, please forgive me.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post - and thank you for hosting a lovely new linky party!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Bernideen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings my teatime blogger friend! I had to chuckle when I saw your books...I have all of them too....kindred spirits, heh? Lovely pix as always.
    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! The books are amazing, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I came over from Lemon Verbena's blog and am your brand new follower. I like your themes of flowers and books, and finding time to escape to the garden or have a nice cup o tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful post and my absolute favorite teapot. Thank you for hosting.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book looks so wonderful...I have a garden book that has wonderful illustrated photos..just lovely...with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely thoughts! And yes, I am enjoying thinking of August as the prelude to fall!

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.