Tuesday, March 11, 2014

MINT RAISIN BLARNEY SCONES

We can all celebrate Saint Patrick's Day and I especially love the many recipes available.  Of course scones are always on the menu at our house and I have been playing with recipes again.  I did several modifications to this recipe this morning. 




 It was lovely and warm out so I was watering my yard.  Within one hour the temperature dropped it had started snowing like crazy!  I have set up a little table for us to enjoy some time together:




I purchased this little child's tea set years ago in Wyoming and of course I shared the cottage teapot several times recently as I am not tired of seeing it.

I purchased my doll in the 1980's in Toronto, Canada. I may have shared this before so I apologize but I am thinking of it as I see this doll.  My friend had taken me to a house to see the antiques that were for sale by a friend.  I purchased several things including this doll.  She lived in an elegant farm house that was decorated and I was so impressed however she had spent all her money on the decorating and there was no toilet paper in her bathroom but she had a clever note: "please use these paper napkins for toilet paper".  We of course got a laugh!

 My grandmother embroidered the topper and napkins as a wedding gift for me nearly 46 years ago.






Here is what you will need for the scones:

1/2 stick of soft butter, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1 Tb mint extract, 2 3/4 cups of cake flour, 2 1/2 Tsp baking powder, 1/2 cup yellow raisins and 1/4 cup black raisins, 1 cup of buttermilk.  You will need a shamrock cookie cutter and I used a floured cloth for rolling the dough and a knit cover on my rolling pin.  Both of these get laundered afterwards.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.  I put wax paper on my table to put them on to cool when baked.

In a medium bowl combine the butter and sugar and vanilla and
 mint extract and beat through with mixer.

In larger bowl, mix flour and baking powder together and fold in raisins.  Now alternately mix the butter mixture above and the buttermilk into this and stir well with a spatula until a nice dough forms.  Roll the dough out onto the floured cloth and cut with shamrock cutter.  I sprinkled some green sugar bits on top for fun  or you could just brush with sugar and a little cream.  Bake 18 minutes.  Makes about 20 scones.  Clotted cream would add a nice touch here!

27 comments:

  1. Bernideen, your tea table in front of the window is so charming set with all the green and child's tea set! I love your table covering and matching napkins that your grandmother made. What wonderful treasures they are. The cottage teapot always takes my eye too. It is scone baking season, isn't it? Thank you for sharing your lovely tea with us and hosting your FST party. I always enjoy having you join me for tea as well.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernideen,
    I love your Irish tea time and your scones sound wonderful! Your grandma's topper and napkins that she embroidered and gifted you are so beautiful. I especially love your cottage teapot. You always make such pretty vignettes that so inspire me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bernideen...the story with the napkins is so funny! Love your setting, and the shanrock scones. Lovely photos! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your St Patricks Day tea is just gorgeous Bernideen! I have a doll that is just like yours! I don't remember where it came from, but she belonged to my daughter when she was little. My daughter put her in a yard sale several years ago....the eyes had got poked out, and the doll looked pretty scary! I brought her home and she is still up in the closet...I thought I might put a light in her head to shine thru where her eyes were (a Halloween night light) but haven't done it yet. Seeing how pretty your doll is, I think I will just find her some new eyes....hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am giving away a copy of the Celtic Tea with Friends book on my blog right now.
    Love the little children's tea set. And always love the green of March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bernideen,
    You have done the Irish well! It all looks pretty inviting and such a lovely spot by your window.
    A storm is expected here tonight as well.

    Thank you for hosting,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gift your grandmother made is striking. I was taking a closer look before I learned what a special treasure it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful table, and I'm going to have to add the recipe to my "must bake" list. Thanks for sharing it! Your Grandmother's embroidery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you St. Patrick's day tea and all your items with green! Your child's tea set is so precious and your dolly so lovely. How wonderful to have the tea cloth your grandmother made for you so long ago. Thanks for the scone recipe. I need to go buy some mint extract now! Thanks for hosting and happy St. Patrick's day to you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful St. Patrick's day tea! Love the little tea set and your beautiful cloth your grandmother made for you! Thank you for the recipe! Now I need to buy some mint extract! Thanks for hosting and have a happy St. Patrick's day!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how beautiful dear Nernideen, I just love your lines and doilies, as I love them too. I have some made by my grandma and some that were my Mil's, so yes, yours are lovely, perfect setting for St. Pat's with some pretty splashes of Green there. Thank you for hosting and having me for tea.
    Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bernideen,
    I love your St. Patrick's Day display...... so perfect in every way. I collect doilies too and you have the most beautiful collection. Your dolly is lovely and what a funny story. My hubby actually works at a toilet paper factory and has for nearly 40 years so we love toilet paper jokes. Have a wonderful week and thank you for hosting Friends Sharing Tea. I hope that we can have tea in the garden soon. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. That little child's tea set is too cute! Thanks for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Bernideen,
    your wonderful collection of nice things make every Tea time very special. What a treasure to have a handmade tablecloth from the grandmother. Sweet memories. The china is cute and the doll so lovely. And the vintage roses doilie make my heart sung. Thank you for this wonderful tea time and for hosting this sweet event.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful tea Bernideen and I love your pretty new doily. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty table! and I won't get tired of that cute little teapot. I love your grandmother's embroidery, so special to have that. and the embroidered doilies. Scones as a staple in the house is a pretty good idea! thank you for hosting Bernideen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blessings, Bernideen! Love all your green tributes to our St. Patrick - and especially your new doilie! Oh - the crocheted roses!! The Celtic Tea book give away sounds interesting - yes, I will check it out. I recently won a book as you'll see in my post today. Maybe I could make a two-fer?
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely tea table to celebrate St. Paddy's Day. I've never thought to use my shamrock cookie cutter for scones - good idea! I'm going to check out the book giveaway as well, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those scones look delicious. I must have already said it, but I love your chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful vignette! Now, if only I had one of those scones to enjoy ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute mini tea set, Bernideen, and it is so beautifully displayed...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bernideen, love the little childs teaset. Enjoy those yummy scones and have a wonderful St. Patty's Day! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. How very pretty and inviting! I always enjoy your blog posts. You guys do have the craziest weather. I missed your Mr Linky cut off time,so can't post my St Pat's pix.
    Think SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful post! March is my favorite month of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those scones look so delicious. Your table is so pretty. I am looking for a shamrock cookies cutter. I made scones also. Your doll is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.