Sunday, February 28, 2021

ORANGE ROSEMARY CAKE FROM VICTORIA CLASSICS

 Yesterday I baked a cake that I
had seen pictured in the "Victoria Classics"
Holiday Bliss December 2020


This cake features fresh Rosemary on
top of the cake but I had none so I just
sprinkled dried orange peel on top:


I really liked this cake but my husband
did not but I also remember he doesn't
like my Lemon Pound Cake.  Who can
understand these things?





Recipe ingredients:
  2 1/4 Cups sugar, 2 Tbs chopped fresh Rosemary, (I had none)  1 1/2 cups butter soft,
5 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla (I used 1 Tb Orange extract instead), 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I preferred cake flour), 1 Tb baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk, 1 cup of sour cream.

This cake bakes in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or 22 minutes convection oven.

So here is what is interesting:  In these
photos I am only showing you a 2 layer
cake but I actually have a third layer I am taking over to our son's house.  It would have been super tall if I had used it.  I used 8" cake pans.

The topping is an Orange-Cream
 Cheese Frosting:
1 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature,
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) room temperature mixed with 1 Tb grated orange peel and 4 cups of confectioners sugar.  I also added 1 Tb orange extract and sprinkled more dried orange peel on top.

In depth instructions for baking the cake can be found on page 70 of the Holiday issue.
They also embellished the top with drained
Mandarin Oranges which was pretty.


At the beginning of each year I get out
my collection of old vintage clocks and
enjoy seeing them for a while.  Now,
it's time to put them away till next year.



4 comments:

  1. As a person who enjoys cake and pie, I love any flavor. This one looks
    just as tasty as any you make and I do enjoy orange flavor. It is fun
    to change up our seasonal decorations. I really like seeing your violets
    on the china, makes me wait anxiously for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your china and beautiful photos. I think I need to make this cake, I would put one section in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm the cake sounds delightful to me, Bernideen! I'd be happy to have a slice of it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.