5 Squares unsweetened chocolate, 2 1/4 cups sifted flour, 1 cup sour cream, 2 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, ½ cup (1 stick) butter, 2 ¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar, 3 eggs,
1 ½ tsp vanilla, 1 cup water – boiling to be added last
1Grease and flour 2 size 9 x 1 ½” layer cake pans, tap out excess flour.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into bowl.
3. Melt chocolate in a small saucepan with the butter.
In a large bowl beat brown sugar and
eggs; beat with mixer at
High speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes.
Beat in vanilla and chocolate.
4. Stir in dry ingredients alternately with sour cream until batter is smooth.
Do not boil water too soon as it evaporates
fast – Stir in boiling water – batter will
Now become thin. Pour into cake pans.
5. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (less if convention oven – watch!)
6. Let cool 10 minutes +, cut around edge of cake with knife and turn onto cake platter
Fudge icing: 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, 1/2 stick of butter, 3 ¾ cup of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup milk, 1 tsps vanilla
Melt chocolate in small saucepan with butter…remove from heat
Combine other ingredients in bowl and then add chocolate mix…….beat till ready to ice cake
If the icing is too thick- add more milk
*sometimes I put cherry pie filling between layers
After the cake is iced I like to cover the center top with maraschino cherries!
I often bake my cake in 2 heart shaped cake pans and sometimes 3 pans…..it only takes 20 minutes if using 3 pans.
For cupcakes – bake 15-20 minutes