Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THE SOUND OF MUSIC AND LINZERTORTE

Sing along with me....."The Hills Are Alive....with the Sound of Music".
 Do you remember the Von Trapp Family? Lately I have been determined to actually make some of the unique and meaningful recipes which have a special story behind them.  This includes the LINZERTORTE Recipe from the Von Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont.



This simple Austrian Pastry is delicious and easy to make.  Last year I had gotten permission from Sharon O' Connor (Menus and Music Series) to print this recipe on my blog.  It was presented to her by Marshall Faye, Pastry Chef of the Trapp Family Lodge and is featured in her "Holidays" Edition Cookbook and CD Combination. 




 Last night I made the torte and it was lovely all hot and bubbly coming out of the oven....



I still have my Sound of Music piano book and it brings back many memories of this wonderful movie with Julie Andrews and that incredible voice!


Here is the recipe so that you can make it
 LINZERTORTE

You will need:
 3 sticks of butter at room temperature, 1 1/2 cups of sugar 1 egg, 1 1/2 cups of ground walnuts, 3 cups all purpose flour, 
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/3 cup currant jelly and 1/3 cup raspberry jam ( I used 2/3 cup raspberry jam only) 1/4 cup sliced almonds (I had none in the pantry so skipped)  Powder sugar for sprinkling if desired.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, blend together the butter and sugar until creamy.  Beat in the egg, walnuts, flour and spices until a stiff dough is formed. Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans. (I used a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom and only made one torte)


Pat 1 portion of the dough into a layer on the bottom of each pan.  On a floured surface, roll the remaining 2 portions of the dough into rectangular sheets about 1/4" thick. Cut the dough into3/4" wide strips.  Line the sides of each pan with 1 layer of the strips, pressing firmly.  

In a small bowl, combine the currant jelly and the raspberry jam, then spread half of this mix evenly onto the bottom of each torte.   Criss-cross the remaining strips of dough on top and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the jam bubbles.  Remove and let cool.  Remove from the pans and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Makes two 8" tortes

20 comments:

  1. That sounds a lovely recipe. I will have to try it. Think it is something the family will love too,which is good or I might be tempted to eat it all myself. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely fantastic...I hope to find some time to try it out...hopefully there are not many calories? (ha). Working on my Mardi Gras cake today for the family today. Blessings, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that exactly music book! (Well nearly like it, in English!)

    My Mom would play and I would sing from it all the time.

    I had completely forgotten about that till just now.

    And that torte? Oh my, how scrumptuous!!!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I am going to try that- I know my DH would just love it. he loves fruity anything. I won't be able to get my lattice crust topper to look nice like yours, though. I am all thumbs when I try that, but practic makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love linzertorte! It's one of my favorite desserts but one that I don't make all that often.


    Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your torte is just beautiful, Bernideen, and I really love that music-themed teapot!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your torte looks delish, Bernideen! And I love The Sound of Music!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bernideen,
    how amazing to find a recipe of Linzer torte on your blog. I really love that torte. So perfect for tea. Thank you for sharing this recipe and for hosting this sweet event.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bernideen
    The recipe is something I'd like a piece of with my tea.
    We've seen the movie many, many times and I have the music to play too.
    A friend and I travelled by bus to Toronto, last year or so to see The Sound of Music done on stage. It turned out very well with limited space. Imagine, if you can, a line of nuns coming down both side aisles to the stage singing 'climb every mountain'. It made such an impact we were nearly in tears.
    Your tea today is a nice tribute to this wonderful movie.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a scrumptious dessert! I can just imagine the aroma it provided. I did a Sound of Music theme tea last year for my daughter's birthday. It was such fun. You've inspired me to blog about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful! Love the teapot!
    I also love The sound of music!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bernideen
    I linked with your post about an hour ago but I see it is still not showing. Any other problems from anyone?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks wonderful. I have made Linzer cookies, but never a tart. I am afraid I am pastry challenged....sigh.
    Cheers!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Blessings to you!
    I remember so well The Sound of Music and never tire of it. I was a little girl when the movie came out, but love singing along even today.

    Singing along with you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Linzertorte looks delicious and your settings are always so pretty. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG ..The torte look delicious ... and " The Sound of Music " is humming in my head... It's one of my favourite musicals.. Thank you for haring this fabulous recipe...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greetings,

    Oh my goodness,...your LINZERTORTE looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower. Hope you will visit Magnolia Cottage.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! That torte looks fantastically delicious! TFS the recipe~ I see you like Harney Tea...a good choice. The sheet music is a fun addition to the table setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Linzertorte looks amazing!! I just love the musical note teapot, the themed tea today is wonderful. Thanks for hosting, I hope you enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks good too but I will pass on the recipe as I don't like making pastry.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.