Monday, February 4, 2013

VINTAGE CAMISOLE AND COOKBOOKS

After seeing  Carolyn Aiken's feature on an old vintage camisole - I experienced a little memory reflection........I remembered I had received a vintage camisole many years ago in a secret sister swap. 


 At the time I hung it on the wall in my laundry room but after a while it got "dryer" dusty so I washed it and and then I lost track of it.  After a little search yesterday...I found it down in the basement in a box with some lacy doilies.








I also found 3 great cookbooks at Barnes and Noble last night.  Yes, I left home during the Superbowl to go look at cookbooks.  Isn't that terrible.  Shame on me!


This is not a book review because I haven't had time to read them yet - the point is a girl can NEVER have too many cookbooks and during the winter we have the time for research and reading!  I did notice a Blueberry Clafoutis in The French Kitchen Cookbook that looked lovely.  The Afternoon Tea Collection has an entire chapter on "Friands" which are little cakes made with egg whites and ground nuts.  I see I have more to learn here.  There were numerous types too.  Grandma's Recipes has a recipe for Welsh Rarebit which I am interested to studying.  Lastly, Julia Child would have been pleased to see a recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon.

13 comments:

  1. I think shopping during the Super Bowl is a grand idea. I'm thinking that the crowds were smaller at the stores. Fun camisole. I love leafing through cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernideen
    I wish camisoles were as dainty looking today; there are some nice ones to be had but without the Victorian look.
    I know you'll be featuring some recipes from your new books after you read them.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bernideen,
    I am glad my camisole made you remember your pretty one!
    The cookbooks look great especially the afternoon tea one.Have fun trying out the recipes.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Bernideen. The Afternoon Tea book has a beautiful cover. I imagine it has beautiful pics and recipes inside. What a pretty find with your camisole! Isn't it fun to find pretty things we forget we have?!
    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty. I really enjoyed this post. You got a wonderful deal on some great books. I don't blame you for sneaking off. I could browse through those wonderful cookbooks for hours! Love them!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did other things during the game as well...and my husband watch an English football game as well...how unAmerican...but he IS a Brit! Love the camisole. They work and time that went into them is amazing. Your books are perfrect for you! I wouldn't have resisted either.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to hearing about the recipes you try from teh new book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it that you went to Barnes and Noble during the Super Bowl! And - for cookbooks, too! Great! They look wonderful, as does that camisole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi bernideen,
    ancient things are often so charming. And how nice to have so many nice cookbooks. I agree, one can never have enough. Thank you for sharing this romantic tea time.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your books are lovely, Bernideen. I'm sure you will find some wonderful recipes. I make Welsh Rarebit quite often. My mother and my auntie always made it. When I was a little girl I used to call it Welsh Rabbit. :)
    The camisole is very pretty and tis a pity one doesn't find them like that much any more.
    Thank you for sharing with us and coming to tea.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those books look wonderful. I collect books about tea, and I never tire of browsing through them. Camisoles are so feminine.

    Have a lovely day.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you've done with the camisole. It's always fun to "rediscover" an old find and give it new life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your camisole is so lovely and feminine. The Super Bowl game was only exciting when the lights went out and changed the atmoshpere! The idea of going to buy cookbooks was great! I love your choices and thanks for the ideas.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.