Wednesday, July 8, 2020

STRAWBERRY CREAM TARTS for "Tea In The Garden"

The heat is on in Missouri now but I 
slipped out this morning for a little
"Tea In The Garden":




This morning by 10:00 am it was
already 92 degrees with 50% humidity
so I did this tea time as quickly as
I could.  This year we have little
Carolina Wrens nesting in the
birdhouse on the wall of our little
porch entry area.  It really wasn't
intended to be "used" by birds so
they were most unhappy this morning
with me scooting by with  things I brought out
the  front door nearby.




During the Corona Virus we have spent
time on many projects at home and also
in the garden.  Several long term
garden projects are done including mulching
all the flower beds front, sides and back.


So let's sit and enjoy
 these sweet little
Strawberry Tarts!


My recipe called for a quart of strawberries
but I only had a pint of them and it still
worked fine to make a 2 by 9 inch oblong tart
 and 3 small round 3 1/2" tarts too!


Here is the recipe for a Strawberry Cream Tart: Ingredients for the Pastry:  1/2 Cup Butter, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla and 
1 cup flour

This pastry makes what taste like a shortbread  cookie and is delicious!  In a small bowl, cream the butter and sugar, vanilla and add flour. 
 Press this onto the sides and bottom of your
 tart pan with a removable bottom (2 x 9")
 Make the cream cheese filling next. 

Ingredients for the Filling:
1 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1/4 cup of sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a small bowl, mix all this and set aside while you preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  You are going to spread the filling over the pastry and bake it at
 450 degrees for 8 minutes - reduce heat to 
350 degrees and bake 8-10 more minutes.

Now cool this tart shell.

Ingredients for strawberry topping:
1 pint - 1 quart strawberries, Reserve 1 cup of strawberries sliced for final top and chop the rest putting them in a sauce pan with 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup water and 3 Tb cornstarch
Bring all this to a boil until it thickens - cool!



When your strawberry topping is cooled it is ready to pour over the cream cheese base.  It is nice to have sliced fresh berries to fill in across the top.


This recipe is really very easy to do and once you make it once -
 even easier the next time!


You may have noticed the hummingbird feeders are no longer on the deck.  We
 caught one raccoon in a cage and a friend relocated him for us but unfortunately we seem to have an abundance of them and
 they are not afraid of us.  I was refilling
 the hummingbird feeders every day which
 is a lot of work.  Yes, they drank it all.

 
If you make the tarts - I think 
you will love them!  


I hope you find ways to enjoy
 each day this summer! 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry about the pesky raccoons. Whenever I had my Dynatrap bug catcher up, they would come nosing around. I don't put the trap up anymore for that reason. So, because of the bugs, I don't enjoy my backyard so much these days. No tea parties for me, but your tea parties always make me want to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy raccoons! Love the beautiful table cloth. Certainly hot and humid
    for tea outside, so thank you for the invite to visit. It looks as if
    your summer flowers are doing well in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bernideen, how I wish I could join you for a tart and tea in your beautiful setting. That strawberry 🍓 tablecloth made me sigh, it’s so beautiful! It’s so hot here, but one of my granddaughters and I have a themed tea party every two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just copied the recipe! I had to come back for another look. The embroidered napkins are beautiful and your tea service is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tea time...Gorgeous teaset!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernideen, your strawberry tarts look amazing! I absolutely love your red tea set! As you know, red transferware is my favourite. Sorry about the raccoons! We are being overrun with chipmunks and squirrels. We are having such an awful time keeping them out of the feeder. I enjoy watching the songbirds so much and they aren't able to get a nibble most days. I'm quite disappointed as I look forward to the birds every spring and summer. On a brighter note, it is summer, and there are other joys to behold. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tea in the garden post and those Strawberry tarts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely table setting! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your red transferwrae is so pretty! And that tart makes my mouth water. You have made such a cozy spot for your wrens. No wonder they moved in! Racoons are such a nuisance. We have way more than our share. But we did have a tiny guy get separated from his family and sleep on my wicker for a few nights. He was attracted to the little teacup fountain. So darn cute! But they ARE fearless. I have been using the new blogger for weeks and now suddenly the thumbnail doesn't appear. I wondered why so many blogs appeared that way on my sidebar now. Always something! I hope it gets figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are dedicated!

    To have tea, in this hot summer. Even if you did do it, early.

    💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely want to try those beautiful strawberry tarts, even though I don't have the "matching" transferware for serving! Enjoyed my tea time with you, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely tea table you set, and those strawberry tarts look amazing, thanks for the recipe! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.