Sunday, February 26, 2023

MEMORIES FROM OLD VICTORIA MAGAZINES & Carmel Cream Pie

 One way to survive winter while the 
garden takes a break and outdoor
activities slow down, is by finding
some craft projects or perhaps sewing
or baking something wonderful.  I decided to look at some old Victoria magazines and go back through the January and February issues before this month is 
over.  A cup of tea and a seat at the table were all I needed to get started through my magazines.





Last month I did some reflecting on the Scottish poet, Robert Burns and of course
I came across a lovely article in the January 1990 issue.


  In the same issue there was an article about a woman name Jeanne Gresham who had a shop on Cape Cod called "Horsefeathers" where antiques and beautiful tea wares mingled.  Now bear in mind we are talking about 1990 (not now) and a friend I knew in Colorado in the 90's told me she had visited this shop and raved about
it's beauty.


I'm sure you are aware that in January
and February the Snowdrops bloom
in England.


The cover on the January 1991 issue is
so very lovely.  I have been thinking about
looking for an older fire place screen to
soften the area in front of our gas
fireplace.  As soon as I opened this issue
 I saw a wonderful example of one in an
article called "Found By The Fire".  




to see the recipe for the
Carmel Cream Pie.




As February prepares to leave us
here in Missouri, we see bulbs popping
 up out of the ground.  We did a major pruning of the pussy willow bush in our 
front yard.  A few Hellebore plants
are blooming.  We know we have had
a relatively mild winter.



By doubling my recipe ingredients,
I had enough for a deep dish pie and
also more to make a little tart we can
take over to our senior neighbors.
(on a foil base for transporting)


5 comments:

  1. I still have this wonderful issue. I just read again the articles on Robert Burns ( How wonderful it would be to visit that rough, clay cottage with thatched roof.) and about the oh-so-lovely shop on Cape Cod. However it was for another story that I have kept this issue. It is the gardening tale of Joanna Reed in "A Lifetime Friendship With a Garden." I love both her gardens- the one outside her window and the one she embroidered on cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely setting and I love the basket that holds your magazines. I also got out my back issues from Victoria this month. They are from February 2000 and 2001 (I inherited them from my husband's grandmother). I think the styles are timeless. I was born in '91 so I enjoyed a peek into your older issues from that period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful idea to go through your old Victoria magazines with an accompanying cup of tea. They are truly inspiring and a calming way to spend an afternoon. I can't wait until your garden begins to bloom. It's always some weeks later before plants begin to pop up here so I live vicariously through your garden pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all my old Victoria magazines! I love them. Often I will pull a stack of seasonal issues from several years and put them out to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks like it came from a fancy pie shop, Bernideen! Oh, how I’d love a slice. I must try the recipe. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.