Monday, April 24, 2017

SEWING COTTAGE STYLE TOPPERS

Since I have so many old vintage linens,
last Saturday I decided to make some table
 toppers by embellishing vintage toppers.
The base on this one was a 40 x 45" 
pink topper which I put a smaller
topper and 2 runners over. 
 Everything
is pinned and then sewn down using the
sewing machine:



A little closer up:


Here was the second one and by
the way - these make up fast because
each piece is already done by other
sweet ladies of the past!  That's where
the real work was done!

This one below has
 a bluebird
theme:


I used a variety of bird pieces on the sides
but I am just showing you one of them:


#3 has a tea kettle on the
corners of a small topper over
 a larger
one and of course other
runners sewn on it:



A little closeup here of the Crinoline Ladies
and Sunbonnet Ladies:


And this last one shows you how I use a large
table to just pin it up - this one is not sewn yet:


If you are a perfectionist - try to control yourself as
many of these pieces are already not totally even!
This is a great way to stretch the life of a topper that
has started  getting little holes in it - don't throw it away - just embellish it!  As you can see above there are little pieces of a round crochet doily tucked under the runners - it was a round cut into 4 pieces.  I see
a small doily in the middle too!

13 comments:

  1. These are so sweet.. I inherited a few form Hub's mother, but they arent as pristine as ours.. As a teen I used to love to embroider tea table cloths... but I have no idea where they are now...I dont have the patience to do hand work much anymore... but I do love your bird patterns.. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I love the fact that you can save damaged linens this way and give them a new life. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bernideen those are wonderful! I love them...especially the one with the blue teapots! You clever girl!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great, great idea, Bernideen!!! I love that you were able to use such sweet things and that you are giving them new life. Love them all- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how pretty those toppers are, Bernideen! I LOVE this idea and I'll be on the lookout for some. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your lovely table coverings make me want to dig out my linens and put away my Lazy Girl placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cobbled table linens. I do this on a much smaller scale with dresser scarfs. So many beautiful treasures you have rescued this way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What clever, fun projects. You will definitely enjoy each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very cute Bernideen! I always enjoy vintage lines on the tea table. I am glad you enjoy Nehemiah. It wasn't a book I knew much about but, when I got into this story to write the post. It was a very good story. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to use these beautiful embroidered pieces! What an amazing amount of time and craftsmanship went into those pieces!

    The bluebird one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute, those will be lovely for all your teaparties! I adore vintage linens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your toppers are so pretty, Bernideen. What darling works of art they are! My auntie sent over her sewing machine to me last summer but I haven't used it. I may just pass it on to my niece as I think she would use it more than I would. You do have a way with a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super way to save pretty linens, that have spots or flaws. The first place I go in my favorite thrift store is the linens, and I have quite the stash at this point.

    Thanks for a peek at your handiwork, Sandi

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.