Wednesday, July 25, 2018

CELEBRATING JANE AUSTEN for "Tea In The Garden"

After purchasing a new book
in Hannibal on Sunday about
 cooking and Jane Austen,  I thought
it would be fun to enjoy a little
tea time today with that theme.


I already had a collection of Jane
 related books and now I have added
 this one published in 2013.




So rather late in the day yesterday,
I set up a little tea area outside.
The mosquitos were definitely
out and about!







I found a few pieces of purple
transferware Sunday too:





The only changes to my scones were:
I used 1 chopped peach instead of 
strawberries and I used 1/2 cup 
of sugar and I used buttermilk!
(see link to the recipe by clicking above)






I have an abundance of zinnias!






So this new book has wonderful recipes that
represent conversations in many of Jane's 
books!  There is a lot of interesting trivia
which is very fun! Recipes are for foods
seen in Pride and Prejudice, Emma,
Persuasion, etc.  I was reading it
out loud on the way home in the car
and my husband and I got a real
eye opener about how spoiled we are
with all our present day kitchen's
 modern conveniences.



I have to tell you that I read that Mrs. Bates 
(from the book and movie "Emma")
 was so poor she had to  "borrow"
 the use of a neighbor's stove
 during the night as the ambers
cooled in the kitchen and it was not 
in use by the neighbor.  That really 
showed me how awful her 
circumstance was, yet she never
complained.  I'd say I have a
new appreciation for my stove!




"Indeed,  I would rather have
nothing but tea."   Jane Austen




And lastly - a friend left a lovely
gift on my front porch - a box
of dried hydrangeas.  I put
them in a wire basket next to
the fireplace area.



16 comments:

  1. Bernideen, I love, love, love this Jane Austen celebration! Your table looks beautiful and I spied a few books I do not have. How did you like Tea with Jane Austen? I really liked it especially because it explains the traditions of tea time. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love Jane Austen, and I must see if my library has these books available! What a delightful teatime you've set up! Jane would have enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH My Gosh I like your news purple transferware cups and saucers.
    WE have the same pieces in pattern Charlotte

    I am wanting a bite of those peach scones also LOL

    I am going to read up now on my Jane Austins book so I will know what your talking about

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky for you to get a new Jane Austen cookbook and some pretty purple transferware!! Your garden tea is just beautiful, Bernideen, and I'm so envious of your prolific zinnias. Thank you so much for hosting your party, and I hope you have a mosquito-free week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Tea Time!What a stunning and unique flowers bouquet!!!I love your gorgeous purple transferware and the beautiful books.That figurine with zinnias is lovely too.Your garden is adorable...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say: Thank you for hosting,visiting and sharing so many beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the purple transferware! And I have that same lady holding the zinnias, but mine is plain creamy white. The peach scones do look delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tea is so lovely. I just finished "Tea with Jane Austen", enjoying the new and old recipes, excerpts from her books and social information. After seeing it pictured in your antique booth post, I ordered it so now I may have to find a few more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved everything about this post: pretty purple teaware, tasty scones, beautiful flowers and charming Jane Austen theme!

    While I appreciate the genteel times of the Regency era, I still prefer the modern conveniences of the 21st century!

    Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

  10. Gorgeous Jane Austen celeb dear Bernideen, specially with your purple transferware to die for ! You sure make the best tea parties, ever. Gosh those peach scones are making my mouth water.
    So happy to join your party every week. Thank you for having me.
    Blessings,
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful purple and white china and how marvelous to have an abundance of zinnias, they are so varied.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea -- a Jane Austen tea! I love many of her books, I was an English major in college. The purple transferware is beautiful. xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bernideen, I love your theme today! And, as always, I will be visiting all your linkers - with a cup of tea at hand, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Bernideen,
    I don't know where to begin. Your mauve transferware china is beautiful, the lace linens are so pretty and I'm swooning over your vintage crinoline lady vase. I am loving your blue toile tea cozy too. Your garden is really a park and you've taken me to a happy place today which I needed. Thank you for posting such beauty! Thank you for hosting Tea in the Garden. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. This tea is gorgeous! I will feature this day on Home Sweet Home! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy your blog. It is full of nice flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.