Wednesday, July 18, 2018

ZUCCHINI CREAM CHEESE WALNUT BARS for "Tea In The Garden"


Yesterday I had some ladies for lunch so
afterwards I was glad these Zucchini 
Cream Cheese Walnut Bars
 were left over.  I never hesitate to
use a coffee pot for tea too!


 As you can see by our lawn color,
we are needing rain badly.  I think
I heard we are 10" behind.  They
are now using the term drought.


After lunch yesterday, I went out
 and set up my tea time for this photo
shoot on the patio under the deck. 
Please help yourself to tea
and one of the bars! 


The one flower that doesn't seem to mind
days and days of high 90's heat is the
Zinnia.  My hydrangeas are just
 starting to form blooms.



I used regular walnuts in this post
but you see black walnuts in the 
former recipe.


This little cookbook (now out of print)
 was where I originally
 found the recipe.




Zucchini and Walnut Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 1/2 cups loosely packed, coarsely grated zucchini, 2 large eggs,1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup corn oil, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground allspice, 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg, 1 cup walnuts chopped plus 1/4 cup for topping

Frosting: 3 oz cream cheese softened, 2 cups softened confectioner's sugar, 2 Tb milk, dash of salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees- butter and flour a 9 x 13 baking dish- set aside.
In a large bowl beat together eggs, sugar and oil until well blended. Beat in vanilla.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. Stir in flour mix into the egg mix blending well. Add the zucchini and walnuts and mix. Spread into baking dish. Bake about 28-30 minutes in a regular oven or 22 minutes in a convection oven.  Do not burn but bake till top springs back when touched. Let cool
To make frosting in a bowl: beat cream cheese till smooth, add sugar and milk, then salt and vanilla- If too thick - add more milk until spreadable. Ice the cool cake and sprinkle with more walnuts. Slice with very sharp knife.
 
 3 different Cutting suggestions and I
suggest putting the small or tiny ones in
little paper holders (like for candy or muffins) 

1.  SMALL bars which can go into paper cups: cut them 5 x 6= 30 bars 2 bite size

2.  Afternoon Tea Tiny 1 bite bars: cut them 6 x 8 = 48 bars

3.  Larger dessert size: cut them 4 x 8




Right this moment we have some
cloud cover above and that really
helps a lot.



These two cups and saucers are
definitely favorites:







18 comments:

  1. Good morning, Bernideen! Your tea in the garden is just beautiful, and yes, I'd love a zucchini walnut bar with my cup of tea. How nice of you to have ladies over for lunch. Your tablecloth is so pretty, and I'll bet you made it! Your teacups are just perfect for summer, and your bouquet is stunning. My zinnias are actually burning up with all of our 100 degree days. I think they're getting too much of the west sun. Thank you for hosting your lovely tea party, and have a great week. Prayers are being said for Ruth's dear hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting Bernideen! I think you have the loveliest tea things. Such beautiful cups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s beautiful, Bernideen. You make a tea party an event. The dessert sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tea time, Bernideen! You have the perfect spot for it surrounded by your beautiful flowers. Love the floral teacups! Thanks for the party and enjoy your July. Blessings...Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Bernideen, everything looks so lovely. It was so great to visit and have tea... and zucchini bars sound lovely.. nice post thank you for sharing, with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bouquet and teacups are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bernideen,
    Your tea time today is exquisite. How I love that chintz teacup. Gorgeous shape. Also your walnut squares look so yummy. I hope that you get a sprinkle of showers to refresh your flowers. The heat is wonderful but can be challenging to keep our blooms alive. We have watering restrictions so I cannot water much. Thank you for hosting Tea in the Garden. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my!!!Your Tea Party today is magnificent!The tablecloths are stunning...I love the gorgeous china and your adorable flowers bouquet.Your garden is amazing...Such beauty!Thanks for sharing and hosting.I am late,I hope I can join you tomorrow.Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to have one of your zucchini bars. I'm smitten with your Chintz teacup. My grass is also parched from the heat. We finally got some rain a few days ago and I think it'll rain again this weekend. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Tea! Will you be sharing the Zuc-cream chez-walnut bar recipe? Looks delicious. All the best,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops....see where you shared the link for bars! My bad. Blessings to you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post, and I'm sitting with 4 zucchini's in the fridge right now...lovely photos, too. And with the weather actually breaking a bit, you can enjoy your lovely yard. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

  13. Oh the lucky ladies who got to go to your lovely house for lunch, I hope they realize what a treat there were given
    Going to your house is better than any tea room I have ever been to!
    Oh My gosh I want a bite of that zucchini walnut bars
    As usual your yard is gorgeous and I know you work hard at it

    ReplyDelete

  14. I know there is no tea in my tea cups however just had to join in LOL
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have a tea post but I wanted to say how pretty your tea area is! I love the pretty knitted throw over the bench. Our grass is actual brown crunchiness. We haven't mowed in 3 weeks! Now our bushes are starting to show the affect of not enough rain. I have copied this recipe for zucchini bars because I just bought one at a stand and have been wanting to bake something different with it. I may have had a recipe like this one time so I am thrilled to have a similar one. I love the cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bernideen, thanks for the lovely party. I'm not bringing anything this week (though I'll bet the sauce I just posted would be terrific on tea sandwiches!) but will be visiting everyone here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your tea is lovely! Love the cabinets teacup. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.