Sunday, March 29, 2020

LEARNING SOMETHING NEW OR SOMETHING YOU KNEW BUT FORGOT

When we lived in Colorado Springs and
 I got a new camera, I figured out how to take
aperture photos.  You know the type of 
photos where you zero in on something
but the background stays kind of blurry.


After we moved - I forgot what I had
learned so this week I looked at the manual
for dummies but I must be really dumb because
couldn't figure it out again.  This is what
 I love about the internet - you can find
instructions that make sense - right? 
 And by the 
way guess what
 has returned:



I do not like these birds.  I am happy to see
springtime finally arriving in Missouri.


Twice I have taken the wreath off my
front door because the purple finches
try to build a nest on top of it.  Can someone
please explain to me why they call them
purple finches when the male is red?



So I love all the daffodils that are
blooming now and the tulips are
coming just behind them!  Last
year I planted those double tulip
bulbs but really I find they are
so heavy they fall to the ground
so no more of those in the future.




I decided to use an older floral
on the door instead.


Please stay safe and healthy during
this difficult time.

If you would like to practice
aperture photos:


This is for a D5100 Nikon:

Setting Up and Shooting in Aperture Priority Mode

  1. Turn your camera on and then turn the Mode dial to align the A with the indicator line.
  2. Select your ISO by pressing the i button on the back of the camera.
  3. Press up or down on the Multi-selector to highlight the ISO option, then select OK.
  4. Press down on the Multi-selector to select a higher ISO setting, then press OK to lock in the change.
  5. Point the camera at your subject and then activate the camera meter by depressing the shutter button halfway.
  6. View the exposure information in the bottom area of the viewfinder or by looking at the rear display panel.
  7. While the meter is activated, use your thumb to roll the Command dial left and right to see the changed exposure values. Roll the dial to the right for a smaller aperture (higher f-stop number) and to the left for a larger aperture (smaller f-stop number).

3 comments:

  1. I'm not fond of those birds either. We have house finches stealing pieces of our bedroom window screen! I've never seen such a thing. I hope none of the birds will steal parts of your door decor for a nest.
    Enjoy your spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those type photos, but am too much of a dits to have figured out how to do more than just take a picture with the Cannon hubby bought me several years ago. Someday maybe!

    Our house in Texas had a chandelier hanging in the 16 foot covered porch entry. The dang birds loved to make a nest on the door wreath and/or sit o the chandelier and poop. It was frustrating. We bought a light to replace the chandelier, but it was so high up to the light box we never got around to replacing it. Bill bought a Barbie BB gun and would shoot it off to scare the birds. BB guns look so realistic these days he bought the Barbie one as it was pink and wouldn't look like he was stalking the neighborhood with a real gun. When we sold the house last July, the one thing I didn't miss was the birds and their spring nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see you play with your camera. I shot only in Manual raw, but can get those kind of effects there too. Love your flower pictures.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.