Tuesday, October 3, 2023

FALL IS A TIME FOR "Tea In The Garden"

How thrilling it has been to have some
cooler weather come our way in the
month of October and we sure 
are loving this.  It seems like it was 
such a hot summer and not much rain.
I didn't get my blogging done.



I decided to get out and do a "Tea In
The Garden" since I haven't done
one for quite a while.  I saw a recipe
for a cake online and decided to try it.
The recipe was for a "White Chocolate
going to the market, I had to switch
to canned blackberry pie filling which
worked just fine.  Here was my cake
earlier today before it was cut:


Please help yourself to a
slice of cake and a cup of tea.
You can sit on the bench and
we will have a cup of tea and
a nice chat.



The filling between my layers of
cake is blackberry pie filling and
the icing is also between the layers
of course.




Zinnias and marigolds do well in
our hot Missouri weather.


About the smartest thing I did in
the garden this summer, was to plant
some tomatoes in my south facing front
yard- yes, tucked in with the flowers.
I even used the branches of the pussy
willow to hold up the tomatoes stems.
The cherry tomatoes grew so 
tall they are coming up through the lilac
bush.  I also grew a few pepper plants
and should have planted more. 


The Quaker tablecloth was one of the
many linens I was gifted from the
late Marie Smith who was a precious
woman of God.


There is too much shade in our backyard
for a vegetable garden.  With the price
of food soaring, I think a garden is
really a good idea.


I love to continue to learn about dishes and antiques and old linens.  I have
been trying to learn about antique
laces and it is very extensive.  Also,
I never knew there were so many
glass patterns.  A lady who is an
expert (Gloria Dobbs in the Kansas
city area) told me there
are over 2000 glass patterns.

5 comments:

  1. Such an inviting post. Tea and a chat on the bench sounds so cozy, although, after summer here in Kentucky I'd love a nip in the air to go with it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bernideen,
    It would be so enjoyable to visit with you over tea and cake. How lovely!
    Your napkins and tablecloth are just gorgeous, and the bouquet with the pink zinnias is very pretty. And good for you growing tomatoes and peppers.(I grocery shopped this morning and what I payed for a head of cabbage...)
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely outdoor tea was for you. Fall colors from your summer flowers. I like the idea of the blackberry filling. Even though I do like raspberry also. Blackberries just don't get the same recipe space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I could sit with you and have a cup of tea and a slice of that delectable cake! Your bouquet is outstanding and of course, I love your brown calico! I have a teacup like yours, but not the teapot. I am so beyond grateful that we have some cooler temperatures!! Happy October, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernideen your tea outside is gorgeous! I gave up on having tea outside and now almost all of the flowers are done. You do a better job keeping your flowers pretty than I did. It will be in the 30's Saturday and I have almost everything out of the garden now. I take a break in the winter except for a few herbs that make it till it gets really cold.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.