Tuesday, December 19, 2023

SETTING THE TABLE WITH PRETTY LINENS

 This year I have spent some time researching and learning about different
types of laces.  It has been very interesting and I have been fascinated by the older
vintage and antique types of lace.


These are some bobbin lace tea
napkins that arrived today.  They
are small and delicate. (above)

One of the types of laces I am particularly
interested in is Italian lace called
Trump de Venice.  I am no expert 
and so I can be corrected.  I started
making a list and there are hundreds
of types of patterns of lace.  A site
I follow on Facebook is called the
Lace Museum. Most of what I have
learned was by following them
but of course, I know little really.


These pieces above also include a large
runner and I got them at a great price
on ebay.  They are ecru.  I washed and
starched them and ironed them.

I had purchased these
napkins below from an Etsy
site in Canada:


Often you might come upon a
booth in an antique mall that
specializes in old linens.  Such
was the case this summer when
I happened upon these below:


Perhaps I have stirred your curosity
just a little to go peruse your
linens drawers:



Years ago when I had a shop, I sold
many linens but they were all new ones.
The many types of tablecloths and placemats were mostly polyester made in China and there were tables with every size of machine crochet doily imaginable.
My only response to that now is - Yipes!

Stains?  I use Oxiclean and soak
things in the kitchen sink.  If I still
see a stain after that I pour 4 cups clean water to 1 cup bleach in the sink.  I then swish the item around in it for about 1 minute - then rinse quite thoroughly.
Large pieces are done in the bathtub.

9 comments:

  1. Such lovely old laces and linens! And to find them in such great shape! That is really amazing. So often, especially napkins, can get stains that are difficult to remove, especially on old fabric. I have some that belonged to my husband's grandmother, but it is so hard to get out the stains without damaging the old fabric. Do you know a secret for cleaning old linens like that? Just wondering! Thank you for sharing these with us. They are so beautiful, and certainly a dying art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew how to respond to comments here until today I read instructions on how to do that. I use Oxiclean in the kitchen sink and if the stains are still there I go to the next level. I start over and in the sink I put 4 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach. This can't be left long. I dip in item in whishing it around for about 1 minute and then rise a great deal. Usually works for me!

      Delete
    2. Never use bleach on colored or printed fabric.....

      Delete
  2. This looks to be a fun hunt for new old lace for you. These are beautiful and I like seeing them. I know my Grandmother made lace and once upon a time I had some of hers. Used too often and finally got worn out and discarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank you for your many comments in the past and today. I think I just figured out how to respond to comments on my blog. Why it has taken me so long - well - at my age - there is always something new to learn these days!

      Delete
  3. Bernideen, your linens are so lovely. Hope you're having a lovely Christmas Week. Thanks so much for coming by to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there were so many patterns of lace! I've gotten some antique linens at a vintage market for a very good price and a set of napkins online. It's always so special to set a table with them. I appreciate the tips for cleaning. I'll pass that along to my daughters. I have some of the linens from your shop which we enjoy and bring back fond memories of our visits to your store. Wishing you a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernideen, your laces are so lovely and I admire that you are taking the time to learn about them. Once at a garage sale we went to in a Victorian house, there were piles of linens all with different lace that were just thrown together. I picked out some that looked interesting to me and then my hubby called me to look at something and I set my stuff aside and someone came along and took them all. I think I might have had some good ones picked out. Learned my lesson on that one. Have the merriest Christmas ever, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have made plenty of mistakes like that too and learned the hard way. Thank you for your kind comments and Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.