Tuesday, May 16, 2023

A TRIBUTE TO "THE PARADISE"

 I make it no secret that I am a fan
of Jane Austen BBC films, Downton
Abbey and other Victorian period 
dramas.  I have never posted here about my all time favorite so here goes.




I spent 28 years in retail so I was naturally drawn to this BBC British
drama which came out in 2012 and features the story of  what
is suggested as the first English
department store "The Paradise".
The film begins in 1875.


  Because
another series had more viewers (Mr. Selfridge) they only did 2 seasons 
of "The Paradise" which was a disappointment
to me.



This was Denise's first visit
to "The Paradise":



So the story evolves around the lovely
Denise Lovett (above)who moves from a small town in Scotland to live with her
Uncle Edmund who owns a struggling little outdated business across the street
 from the successful "Paradise". 
 Despite her modest background, 
Denise catches the eye of the owner, 
Moray (a widower)and gets a job
 there in ladies wear.




If you love seeing Victorian clothing
and especially women's hats, jewelry
and dresses, you will be dazzled by
what you see.  Sometimes I love the
costuming and sometimes Katherine Glendenning's dresses with matching
 hats and purses are a bit overwhelming.  She even ordered a matching dress with one for new (by marriage) daughter and 
her one for daughter's doll?



I am not here to tell you the story
told in "The Paradise" but just to say
that the costumes are incredible.  As
for the men, their jackets, ties and
smart vests are absolutely gorgeous.



The building itself is a wonder to
behold but especially the wrought iron
looking gazebo structure when you 
enter the main room of the floor
level of "The Paradise".  Everything
is so beautiful and presented so
lovely.




6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this program before. I may need to look it up. It sounds interesting. Loved the pictures. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't discovered that one yet. I will have to be on the lookout for it. I adored Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I would love this series, Bernideen. I’ll have to see if I can find it. I did watch The Selfridges a few years back. Thanks for sharing your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of this but would love to see it...I will have to look and see if it is available to stream!! Thanks for the recommendation!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I also love so so much period-drama films and series and this is amongst my fav. I've loved it so much and sometimes I feel I have to watch it one more time!
    Thanking you heartily for the wonderful images you've shared,
    I'm wishing you a blessed day
    X Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Paradise is a delightful period drama that my husband and I both enjoyed. It's time to watch it again. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.