Wednesday, January 2, 2013

WELCOME 2013 DINING FIRESIDE

Gather up your favorite china and set a tiny table by the fire.  While the snowflakes fall lightly outside, relax with a pot of hot cinnamon tea and a nice meal.  Refuse to hurry - winter is here!



We have several elements here for a lovely
fireside tea.  The first is a fire, the second is some delicious food and how about a
 bouquet to make things cheerful?



And of course, we need something
delicious to eat.


We are having some
Ham and Gruyere Quiche and a nice Raspberry
Pretzel Salad


As you can see we are still enjoying
some Holiday decorations on the
mantle.


I used my English Old Country Roses China for my Fireside Dining in my den!



The best part of it all is this:


Here are the recipes:

Raspberry Pretzel Salad:  This recipe came from the "Flavors For Fall" by Gooseberry Patch attributed to Kim Fox.

You will need:  2 cups crushed pretzels divided, 3/4 cup of melted butter, 1 cup plus 3 Tb sugar divided, 8 oz softened cream cheese, 8 oz of whipped cream (I added 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar to 1 cup whipping cream and beat them together) 3 oz pkg raspberry gelatin mix, 2 cups boiling water, 1 10 oz pkg of frozen raspberries thawed (recipe originally called for 2 of these but I only used 1)

For the base: Combine 1 3/4 cups of the pretzels, butter and sugar and press into the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees 10 minutes and then cool. (I used 2 smaller dishes to make one to give away)

Blend cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and whipped cream together, spread over cooled crust.  Dissolve gelatin in 2 cups boiling water; stir in raspberries.  Refrigerate until partially set:  spread over cream cheese layer.  Refrigerate until firm and sprinkle with remaining pretzel crumbs before serving.


And some wonderful HAM AND GRUYERE QUICHE taken from the Menu's and Music Afternoon Tea Boxed Set.

You will need:  1 Tb olive oil, 1 small onion chopped, 1 cup of half and half, 2 large eggs and 1 egg yolk, 6 ozs of chopped ham, 1 partially baked tart shell, 4 handfuls of baby chopped spinach, freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper, 1 cup of shredded Gruyere Cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (original recipe was 325 but I found that not high enough.
In a small skillet, heat the oil and saute onion till golden.  

In a bowl whisk half and half and eggs

In the shell:  layer ham, onion mix, spinach, spices and finish with the cheese and cream mixture.
Bake 25-45 minutes till set.  Cool before slicing.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Bernideen and Happy New Year! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Your fireside tea is so warm and cozy! The menu looks delicious. I always love Old Country Roses. Such a pretty post! And thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea as well!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernideen, Thank you for all your inspiring posts. I loved your beautiful table settings! Very inspirational!
    Wishing you health, happiness and living your dreams in the New Year!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year again, Bernideen!
    What a nice and cozy corner by the fireside to set the tea table!
    Thanks for the lovely tea in a beautiful china pattern!
    Now I'm your newest follower, hope you join me too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Bernideen! I'd like to sample that food by the fire...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bernideen,
    your fireside tea looks very comfy and relaxing. The quiche sounds yummy and I would love to have a piece of the pretzel raspberry salad. I wish you a wonderful New Year with less stress and lots of fun.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous tea setting with the lovely English china...you always make the best! Thank you for hosting this wonderful meme, the first of 2013 and also for the ones you hosted so gracefully last year. Have a happy, blessed and healthy 2013.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so inviting, Bernideen! Cosy and calming.
    Enjoy it. xo
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bernideen,
    What a treat to see your lovely fireside tea. So warm and inviting on a cold winter day. Your tea set is so beautiful and I love the centerpiece. Thank you for the recipes and also for hosting your tea party. Happy New Year to you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your living room is just beautiful! Love your fireplace insert. I'll bet that warms your home really well. In our previous home, we had a woodburner and we could heat the whole house with it. Your table and food, and, of course, your OCR, looks just beautiful! Happy New Year, Bernideen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful setting, Bernideen, so cozy! Happy New Year!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only imagine how lovely it was to have tea by the fire. No snow here, but it's cold. Happy New Year! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the cozy fireside tea photos. Such a nice way to start the New Year and perfect for National Hot Tea Month! Blessings in 2013! ~ Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely fireside tea post! I really enjoyed reading it. You have set the scene for the perfect fireside tea. I could imagine the conversations, and sharing going on between two good friends!
    Happy New Year to you!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete


  14. Hello Happy New year to you Too.Beautifully set in Tea table near the fire place.i can feel the warmth.thank you to stop by to wish me and to leave a warm comment.:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New year! I love this fireside tea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI BERNIDEEN,
    YOUR FIRESIDE TEA IS SO NICE, I LOVE QUICHE....A PERFECT SETTING TO DINE AT......YOUR CHINA IS LOVELY....THE FIRESIDE SETS A GREAT MOOD.....THE RASPBERRY SALAD I MADE MANY MANY TIMES....EXCEPT I USED STRAWBERRIES..
    MY SISTER WHO IS GONE NOW GAVE ME THIS RECIPE, SHE LIVED IN BROOMFIELD CO.....ACTUALLY SHE WAS KAREN'S MOTHER...(OVER THE BACKYARD FENCE)....HAVE A LOVELY DAY.....RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  17. Refuse to hurry! Love this.
    Your post is wonderful and your china so pretty.

    Your Tea is lovely! Sitting by the fire and staying cozy is a great way to live.

    Having a slowed down pace is a blessing,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pretty and delicious tea setting, Bernideen!

    Your RA Old Country Roses = beautiful.

    I, too, like your "don't hurry" attitude. I adore winter, honestly love it - nothing like a warm cosy fire and sipping tea, is there?

    Sorry I am unable to share a tea post this week, just been too busy catching up with real life while I enjoying the Christmas season. I shall be back soon, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your fireside tea. I have been thinking about doing the same thing, just haven't gotten around to it. You inspire me to go play.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so wish I had a fireplace! :(
    This looks so fun. It looks like a great way to spend the afternoon. I hope you will share it with us for FCF.
    Thank you for hosting and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy new year Bernideen - wish I could join you for a cup of tea by that cozy fire!!!
    Thanks so much for the invitation to join your party - so glad to be here!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love sitting by the fire and nibbling on something. So cozy! That quiche looks right up my alley! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bernideen, what a great idea to have tea by the fireside! Love your beautiful setting. That pretzel salad has been one of my families favorites for years. Almost always have it at Thanksgiving. Your quich looks delicious! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never had or attended a Fireside Tea, but the idea is very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks heavenly! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.