Saturday, November 23, 2013

BRANDIED FRUIT TO MAKE FRIENDSHIP CAKES




Many of you remember how popular brandied fruit was during the 1970's. I always kept it on hand for that famous "Friendship Cake" we made and the fruit we shared.  Last night, I thought I would get some going at home again and you can too!  It is so lovely to look at and here is what you will need to get started:




To create your own starter you need a large clean glass container with a loosely fitted lid. Purchase the following canned fruits: 1 15 1/4 oz can pineapple chunks, drained, 1 16 oz can sliced peaches, drained, 1 17 oz can apricot halves, drained, 1 10 oz jar maraschino cherries, drained, 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1 1/4 cups of brandy.



Combine all the ingredients in the glass container and stir gently.  Cover with the lid and leave at room temperature for 3 weeks. Mark your calender the day you created your batch as in two weeks you will add  ONLY ONE of the fruits and 1 cup of sugar.  Now you will wait another two weeks!  You will go down in the fruit list and over a 8 week period you will add one of each of the fruits alternating them.  When you have 6 cups you can divide the fruit and start a second glass container or give 3 cups away or make the Friendship Cake.


Friendship Cake

1 cup butter - melted, 1 3/4 cups sugar, 3 cups sifted all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 2 eggs, 2 cups of the drained brandied fruit mixture chopped, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup brandied fruit juice and optional powdered sugar to sift on top of finished cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees:  Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat well.  Combine next 6 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating well.  Add eggs; beat well.

Coarsely chop brandied fruit; and stir into batter.  Add pecans and juice and mix well.  Pour batter into a well-greased and floured 10-12" bundt pan.  Bake for 1 hour.  Cool in pan 10 minutes and remove. After it cools completely- sprinkle confectioners sugar on top using a sifter to separate sugar.
Due to time crunch - this is a repost!

16 comments:

  1. I love brandied fruit and most always make it every year -- but I use fresh fruits. It's lovely and so good on ice cream or poundcake!!! Perhaps I should do it again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMMMM!
    So glad you've shared this.

    I have never known the recipe for the starter...but years ago I was given a friendship loaf with starter for more loaves.

    Thank you for sharing this!
    God bless,
    d from homehaven in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bernideen --

    Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, for sharing this. Along time ago our neighbor made a cake for us and gave me the recipe. I lost it a few years ago and always wanted to find it. Now I will be able to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of Friendship Bread but I never knew about Friendship Cake! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS SOUNDS DELICIOUS, I GUESS THE BRANDY KEEPS IT FROM GOING BAD. I MADE FRIENDSHIP CAKE, AND I USE TO HAVE SOUR DOUGH STARTER, MY SISTER CAROLINE, FROM BROOMFIELD COLORADO (KAREN'S MOM) GAVE IT TO ME, SHE SAID THE WOMAN THAT GAVE IT TO HER SAID THAT IT GOES BACK TO THE 1800'S.
    I DON'T HAVE IT ANYMORE,IT GOT MISPLACED WHEN I WAS MOVING 30 YEARS AGO. TAKE CARW, RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I have just finished 60 days of making a starter and then doing the whole cake routine! The cake was good, but I was searching online for a recipe that didn't ask for cake mix and pudding mix. I live in the UK and although I could get these things sent across or use substitute recipes, it wouldn't work to pass the mixture to friends. I will give them your recipe and try it for myself on the next batch.
    I have very fond memories of having this cake in my lunch as a kid... so hopefully I can capture some of that flavour with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks delicious. My mom use to make that, and I should try. Thank you for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy! I haven't made Friendship Cake in years. It would be fun to make it again. I used a dough starter when I made mine but the brandied fruit would be a lovely way too. As Martha said, you could use the fruit for different things. Thanks for sharing, Bernideen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use to have a jar of this--thank you for the recipe! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made this brandied fruit but I do make every year one with fresh fruits. It's great over pound cake or ice cream. I have heard of this Friendship fruit but have never tried it. I may have to this year! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember making Friendship cake years ago ~ thank you for sharing the recipe.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds perfect for the holidays and soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of this "fruit starter" and am simply fascinated, especially since I'm really into the older/classic recipes these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds divine! I think I'll give it a try.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

I always love your comments and thoughts! If you aren't a blogger yourself you may have difficulties leaving comments. I recommend you go to http://google.com/accounts and open a google account which doesn't mean that you will have a blog (unless you want one)but will make it possible for you to make comments on all blogs! PLEASE USE A NAME in your google account AND NOT "Unknown" !
Sometimes people repost not realizing their comment posted! Go slowly when you post your comment - don't rush! It will not appear until it is approved. If a question is asked I will try to answer it here.